In the constantly and rapidly developing Technology, Media and Telecommunications market businesses must adapt quickly to stay competitive. Digital and disruptive technologies change the way we work; we monitor trends and how they impact businesses from a legal perspective. Our lawyers have over 25 years of experience in the TMT industry. Combining the strength of all our Industry Sectors we have created what we believe a leading practice of assistance in establishing a strong legal presence and further support in your business. Our global reach enables us to employ a collaborative approach to work on cross-border projects. We are a Highly Recommended Law Firm by AsiaLaw Profiles in 2014 - 2016 in IT, Telecommunications & Media.
Our services include:
Licensing and permits;
Competition and regulatory requirements;
Property acquisition and registration;
Finance and leasing;
Taxation, customs and transfer pricing;
Registration of legal entities;
Drafting and negotiating commercial agreements;
Advising on environmental law issues;
Dispute resolution and mediation;
Insolvency and restructuring;
Legal structuring of complex projects
- Due diligence of a major mobile phone operator of Azerbaijan prior to the acquisition of a facility;
- Providing legal advice on IP Telephony regulations to a Chinese investment holding company;
- Advising an international Chinese company, a manufacturer of telecommunications equipment and systems, (branch office in Baku) on employment contracts;
- Advising a Swedish telecommunications equipment company on the import of IT equipment;
- Advising the main American cable and satellite TV channel on licencing matters;
- Providing legal services on various matters to a German multinational software corporation;
- Advising Caspian SAT Company on matters of obtaining a licence;
- Advising SAP company (through SAP AZ LLC) on various legal matters, including contracts, tax and customs law;
- Providing legal support to a leading world company that developed the electronic platform for drivers and passengers in corporate, tax, and financial legal matters
IT and Media
Providing legal advice on license issue to an American cable and satellite television channel;
Providing legal advice to a Chinese investment holding company on IP Telephony regulations of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
Advising Swedish telecommunications equipment company on importing IT equipment;
Providing legal services on various matters related to corporate, IT and contracts law to a German multinational software corporation;
- Providing legal support to an Austrian data processing company in the process of participating in tender proceedings, participation in negotiating the contract terms and analysis of certain aspects of its implementation from the legal point of view;
- Advising a Belarusian IT company on matters of entering the Israeli market;
- Providing legal support to a Belarusian IT company of Israeli origin in the course of project implementation for organising a communications system with a single point of access in Belarus;
- Advising the Belarusian subsidiary of a US-based IT company producing fitness wearable devices on registration of subsidiary, development of commercial secrets protection framework, drafting software development agreements, advising on matters of assigning rights to software;
- Representing a leading world company that developed the electronic platform for drivers and passengers on legal and government relations on entering the Belarusian market;
- Advising one of the world's leading producers of networking and telecommunications equipment. Drafting a legal opinion on fulfilment of the contract for providing engineering services, drafting guarantee agreement, conducting a legal analysis of labour relations and developing a plan for minimising risks of legislation violation in this sphere;
- Advising the Minsk office of a German company on the issues of cooperation with the Belarusian office developing software products and issues of transfer of rights to the developed software.
- Providing legal services to a large company which provides mobile payments on the Czech market;
- Supporting a company during its expansion to foreign markets;
- Participating in a project for entering into contracts using mobile applications;
- Providing legal support to Impact Hub Company - advising on projects in mobile applications.
- Providing services to Mediapro Georgia Ltd on implementation of the Mobile Number Portability Project in Georgia;
- Representing one of the local telecommunications companies in a tax dispute.
- Advising the world's largest telecommunications company headquartered in China on establishing their legal presence in Kazakhstan, including licencing, corporate structuring and asset acquisition;
- Advising a group of Middle Eastern investors on acquisition of shares in a Kazakhstani telecommunications company, including due diligence, corporate structuring, regulatory and licencing advice;
- Advising one of the leading producers of mobile phones on antitrust and customer protection issues in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan;
- Advising the largest telecommunications company in Kazakhstan on public listing of shares, including legal due diligence;
- Due diligence of a Kazakhstani mobile phone operator as a part of an M&A transaction with a focus on the permits of state agencies of Kazakhstan;
- Advising a leading world provider of new generation telecommunications networks on corporate restructuring;
- Advising a leading global provider of telecommunications equipment on tax issues in a proposed consortium with another company;
- Advising a leading global provider of telecommunications equipment on enforcement of arbitration awards in the territory of Kazakhstan;
- Advising a major supplier of telecommunications equipment on risks, related to contracts with offshore companies;
- Advising an international supplier of telecommunications equipment and mobile phones on enforcement procedures, related to resolving international trade disputes in Kazakhstan;
- Advising a telecommunications company, implementing a project in the territory of Kazakhstan on matters related to the legal status of optical cables in accordance with Kazakhstan law;
- Advising a major international telecommunications company on customs law and legal support for customs audit.
IT and Media
Advising Uber in connection with launch of service in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Belarus, including licensing, tax and other issues, drafting commercial agreements, participation in negotiations with state authorities;
Advising one of the leading Kazakhstani e-commerce companies in connection with corporate structuring of their business and prospective acquisition of shares in a company by local and foreign investors;
Advising a world leading producer of software products in connection with protection of intellectual property rights, and successfully representing the client in local courts;
Advising international TV-channel network in connection with structuring their business in Kazakhstan and Russia, protection of intellectual property rights, labor and taxation issues;
Advising several TV-channel networks in connection with regulatory requirements in Kazakhstan and performing related mandatory filings;
Registration of representative office of top-tier Russian TV-channel in Kazakhstan, providing corporate structuring and advisory services;
Advising one of the leading producers of software products in connection with antitrust and customer protection issues in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan;
Advising a major Russian company providing technology and media services in various industry sectors in connection with launch of their services in Kazakhstan, including regulatory issues, legal structuring, tax and permits.
Providing legal support in acquisition of Foodpanda online service by Chocofamily internet-holding, including drafting transaction documents, verification of corporate authority, and other corporate and finance law advice.
- Advising a global telecommunications company on acquiring frequency licences of a local GSM mobile operator. Due diligence of a local GSM mobile operator;
- Advising a major local mobile operator on structuring of its subsidiary and transfer of rights to land plots;
- Advising a global telecommunications operator on personal data privacy regulation;
- Advising a British telecommunications company on potential acquisition of a major local GSM mobile operator. Due diligence of local GSM mobile operator;
- Advising the largest Dutch telecommunications company on matters related to roaming and data protection in Kyrgyzstan;
- Advising a Swedish telecommunications company on share purchase transaction and antitrust clearance;
- Advising a major mobile phone service provider in the process of negotiating contracts with 3 out of 4 major Polish telecom operators (Orange, Play, Polkomtel - Plus);
- Advising a multinational insurance company and its Swedish branch on entering onto the Polish market and establishing cooperation with one of the major telecommunications companies on the Polish market.
- Advising a major local mobile phone operator on tariff for incoming international transit traffic;
- Due diligence of a major local mobile phone operator;
- Advising the largest Dutch telecommunications company on matters, related to roaming and data protection.
- Successful representing the interests of a Russian subsidiary of one of the major global entertainment channels in a series of disputes on enforcement and recovery of debt under the licence agreements with cable operators for the amount of over RUB 60 million;
- Protecting the interests of Housing Cooperative “Kropotkina 108" in a dispute against the competition authority and the largest Russian telecom operator - MTS. The Russian Supreme Court cancelled the judicial acts of three arbitration instances. This Supreme Court precedent stopped the practice of prosecution of housing cooperatives throughout Russia;
- Successfully protecting the interests of Tayga info, one of the leading information and analytical Internet resources of the Siberian region in the dispute initiated by Zhilfond, the largest regional real estate agency for protection of business reputation in connection with an article placed on the website;
- Advising a well-known investor and public figure in a dispute against NGS-News online news-channel related to the protection of honour, dignity and business reputation, retraction of the information disseminated in the article on the NGS website, and for collection of compensation for moral harm. The judgment was passed in favour of the client;
- Providing comprehensive advice to SEO Agency of Internet Marketing - YAL Studio on business issues, analysis and drafting of contracts, representation in litigation related to the activities of the agency.
- Advising a Sweden-based mobile communications operator on issues related to licensing 3G networks in Uzbekistan and transfer, storage, processing and disclosure of professional and private information about its local subsidiary employees;
- Advising a Chinese telecommunications equipment manufacturer on matters of mandatory installation and maintenance of SOIM (system for operative and investigative activities) at mobile communications networks of local operators;
- Advising and ensuring compliance with local antimonopoly legislation, including obtaining the authorisation of the state anti-monopoly committee, on sale by a Japanese telecommunications company of its 24% interest in the company, holding 26% of the market (wired Internet) and its 49% interest in a Company holding 70% of the market (wireless Internet);
- Advising a European telecommunications company on matters of telecommunications licencing, specifically, designing, building and operating data transmission networks;
- Advising a Chinese telecommunications corporation on matters related to obtaining a permit to use certain radio frequencies for the company's internal purposes;
- Advising a leading Chinese telecommunications company on matters related to obtaining the permits for the import, sale and operation of certain types of telecommunications equipment by mobile operators, including providing practical assistance in obtaining permits from the Centre for Electromagnetic Compatibility of Devices to import certain types of devices into Uzbekistan;
- Consulting with the consortium of Japanese and Korean companies on issues related to provision of telecommunications services on wireless data transfer networks;
- Advising a European telecommunications company on matters related to operation of data transmission networks and on cooperation between data transmission networks operators;
- Advising a leading Chinese telecommunications company on the use of devices for cryptographic protection of information by operators of data transmission networks;
- Advising Uzbekenergo CJSC on designing telecommunications networks (data transmission, radio and telephone communications) in the construction of the steam and gas unit at Syrdarya thermal power plant;
- Advising an Israeli company on matters related to construction, installation and use of data transmission antennas for mobile network phone operators.
|Yerzhan Yessimkhanov||Partner, Head of Telecommunication & Transport, Construction & Infrastructure Department||Almaty||Inquire|
|Ummi Jalilova||Partner, Director of Baku office||Baku||Inquire|
|Alexander Korsak||Head of Dispute resolution practice in Belarus||Minsk||Inquire|
|Tomasz Grabarek||Managing Partner||Warsaw||Inquire|
|Rafał Szalc||Managing Partner||Warsaw||Inquire|
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last
We are proud to announce that Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, partner and head of GRATA International’s Real Estate, Construction & Insfrastructure, Telecommunications & Transport departments, has been named among the best real estate lawyers in the world and featured in WWL 2018: Real Estate for the second consecutive year.
For the past three years, Foodpanda.kz was a key competitor to Chocofood.kz. The consolidation of these two companies will enable Chocofood.kz to take a leading position in Kazakhstan's market for online food delivery services with a market share of 80%.
GRATA International entered the ranks of best law firms across 5 countries: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Asialaw Profiles – the guide to Asia-Pacific’s leading lawyers and law firms has identified key legal practitioners in Kazakhstan
On 10 June 2016, there was the presentation of Uber service in Astana (Kazakhstan). The services of one of the most popular on-line services in the world, a company valued over than 62.5 bln US dollars and having covered over 70 countries for the recent 7 years is now available in Kazakhstan.
We would like to draw your attention to some important changes in the laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan regarding the country's accession to the World Trade Organization.
China Business Law Journal released winners of “China Business Law Awards 2015” in its second issue for 2016
We note that the views expressed below are preliminary and may require further research and analysis. We also note that below information shall not be considered as a legal advice, and is provided as a general overview of business activity from the standpoint of legal consultant.
Lawyers of GRATA International, including Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, Partner (Kazakhstan), Assel Kalmagambetova, Senior Lawyer (Kazakhstan) and Nodir Yuldashev, Partner (Uzbekistan) contributed for the Technology, Media and Telecommunications Review 2015.
GRATA International was reviewed by Asialaw profiles 2016 as one of the leading experts and a premier law firm in Kazakhstan.
In September 2015 Kazakhstani Government announced that in furtherance to large-scale privatization program being realized in Kazakhstan over the last couple of years, 60 major state-owned companies will become private before 1 January 2018
Development in the ICT sector is one of the top priorities of the Kazakh government.
GRATA International Kazakhstan contributed to the The Law Review series - The Technology, Media & Telecommunications Review 2017 with the chapter on Kazakhstan.
News 1 - 13 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last