Mergers and acquisitions are effective tools for managing the strategy of a company's growth and for solving a broad range of problems, including: geographically expanding a company's target market; widening the product range; and a company's vertical integration. The planning and implementation of such transactions rely on providing due diligence of the target company, and analysing the structure of the deal and its associated risks.
We will provide full legal support for deals on the merger and acquisition of companies. With extensive experience, we can provide a thorough and objective legal analysis of a company's activity, with focus placed on determining the legally relevant consequences and the risks of the deal. Our experts will prepare all the necessary documentation, including competently drafting a contract and protecting the interests of our client during negotiations. You can also trust us to observe the priority right of purchase, obtain all necessary approvals (from the company's management, the state authorities and creditors, if required by law) for the sale and/or purchase, and carry out the company's re-registration.
For the period of 2007 -2008 we have provided services to 38 clients for their 63 M&A related projects in Kazakhstan. In total we supported Kazakhstan’s M&A completed transactions for more that USD 80 mln. We continue legal advising to ongoing projects related to M&A in Kazakhstan for more than USD 236 mln.
GRATA has significant experience and expertise in acting on complex, high-value, cross-border work as well as a range of smaller transactions. We operate by bringing together international experience and local knowledge. Over the last few years, we have worked on the following projects:
- Assistance in making of Kazakh anti-trust filing for acquisition of one of largest generic drug company worldwide.
- Advising of major Indian bank Punjab National Bank on acquisition of control stake in Kazakh Dana Bank.
- Due diligence of leading international generic manufacturer.
- Advising a major sovereign wealth fund on the acquisition of LSE listed shares of the large Kazakhstan oil & gas company.
- Advising a leading international bank on its proposed acquisition of commercial bank in Kazakhstan, including conducting of due diligence of the target.
- Advising a major financial bank on antitrust matters of acquisition of Russian investment company.
- Advising Chinese engineering corporation on potential acquisition of stake in Kazakh science institute, including conducting of full due diligence and advising on antimonopoly matters.
- Acting on the acquisition of 2 large Kazakhstan telecommunication companies by the Kazakh investment holding.
- Advising of an international FMCG producer on acquisition of minority stake in Kazakh beverage company.
- Conducting of due diligence of Kazakh large petrochemical company.
- Conducting of due diligence of West-Kazakhstan oil &gas company.
- Advising a large international oil company on its proposed acquisition of an oil company with substantial assets in Kazakhstan (ongoing project).
- Conducting due diligence for a large Asian company in relation to the purchase of the shares of an international energy corporation (ongoing project).
- Conducting due diligence on behalf of a potential buyer (large European bank) regarding the acquisition of a top twenty bank in Kazakhstan (ongoing project).
- Conducting due diligence for the IPO of a major mining and minerals company in Kazakhstan (ongoing project).
- Advising a large Indian corporation on the proposed acquisition of a Kazakh oil company. The transaction included conducting of due diligence.
- Advising a leading Korean Kookmin bank on its acquisition of 30% share in Bank Center Credit for $634 millions, including conducting of detailed due diligence, revising and commenting on SPA and SHA agreements, and advising on the disclosure process and consulting on various other legal matters.
- Advising a large Asian telecoms company in relation to the purchase of shares of a large Kazakhstan national telecoms provider.
- Conducting due diligence on behalf of large Chinese telecom company regarding the acquisition of two telecoms providers in Kazakhstan.
- Acting on the US$100 million proposed acquisition of a Kazakh bank by a London-based Bank, including the conduction of due diligence.
- Preparing a due diligence report for the fixed assets of a company in Kazakhstan.
- Advising a large US oil company on its proposed acquisition of a Kazakh oil production firm.
- Advising a leading Hong Kong gold mining company on the acquisition of a local gold mining company.
- Obtaining permits from the Kazakhstan anti-trust authorities for various acquisitions.
- Advising a Kazakhstan oil company on its proposed acquisition by the Korean National Oil Corporation.
- Advising an international metals producer in relation to the proposed acquisition of a large oil company in Kazakhstan, including conducting due diligence.
- Conducting due diligence for the global oil services.
- Conducting due diligence for a large Russian law firm.
- Conducting due diligence for one of the leading export-import banks in China.
- Advising an international oil company on the proposed acquisition of a large Kazakhstan oil field.
- Conducting due diligence for and advising a major Italian bank.
- Acting for a leading international bank in relation to the proposed acquisition of shares in Kazakhstani bank.
- Advising of a UK mining company on its acquisition of a gold deposit in Kazakhstan; conducting due diligence and drafting SPA.
- Advising local oil company on its acquisition by a Canadian international oil company, including performing due diligence and drafting SPA.
- Advising a large international oil company on its proposed acquisition of an oil company with substantial assets in Kazakhstan; performing due diligence.
- Advising a Kazakhstani private mining company on the potential joint venture and further development alone with a large Korean company of a large copper and nickel deposit in Kazakhstan.
- Advising a large Korean mining corporation on its acquisition of several Kazakhstani mining companies, including conducting of due diligence, drafting of documentation, preparing of legal memorandums and formal legal opinions.
- Advising of Russian mining company on its acquisition of Kazakhstani coal company.
- Advising a large Asian mining company in relation to the acquisition of shares in a Kazakhstani mining company.
- Representing interests of Kazakhstan’s largest gold producer in selecting potential investors, raising investment capital and establishing joint venture.
- Advising one of the largest Kazakhstani mining companies on the rights of minority shareholders.
- Advising one of the largest mining and metals companies in Kazakhstan on a wide range of corporate and labour issues.
- Consulting and providing other legal services to a large international aluminium producing company.
- Advising a large international bank on the financing of a $300m aluminium reprocessing project.
- Conducting due diligence for a manufacturing company in Western Kazakhstan.
- Acting as a consultant to the Government Working Groups in negotiations leading to the conclusion of subsurface exploration and production contracts.
- Representing interests of Kazakhstan’s largest zinc producer to the Government bodies in the course of formulating, discussing and approving amendments to the laws, regulating mining activities.
- Providing legal services to a leading European bank on trade and customs regulations and on processing and exporting gold and precious metals.
- Consulting U.S. company on privatising a large Kazakh mining company.
- Providing full assistance in preparation of contract documentation for the trust management of the Government block of shares in a Kazakh mining company and consultancy with regard to its operations.
- Preparing memorandums and legal opinions on merger control notification requirements in Kazakhstan for a large Germany company.
- Advising underwriters of an IPO in Great Britain and Kazakhstan of the Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation for $2.6 billion.
- Advising a major Australian uranium mining company on its acquisition of a leading Kazakhstani nuclear company.
- Facilitating shares and shareholding interest sale and purchase transactions, including the sale and purchase of assets, property complex for one of the major European insurance companies.
- Assisting in transactions related to the reorganization of a large Oil and Gas Company in Western Kazakhstan.
- Providing legal consultations for over 10 years for a major international oil company under two productions sharing agreements.
- Drafting memorandums and legal opinions on issues of shares and shareholding interest sale and purchase.
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last
The event that was held on February 27th, in Moscow (Russia) attracted 456 senior level decision makers, who came together to discuss the opportunities in the Russian & CIS capital markets industry.
During the Month of February 2018 GRATA International (Russian Federation) generated the most usage from Mondaq users for the category of commercial law.
On 16 March 2018, a seminar on the Application of international forms of FIDIC construction contracts was held by Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, Partner and Director of Transport, Telecommunication, Construction and Infrastructure practice of GRATA International.
In this article, SHAIMERDEN CHIKANAYEV outlines some of the key legal developments and challenges faced by the Islamic finance market in Kazakhstan in 2017 and provides an overview of some of the major factors that will shape the Islamic finance industry's growth and trends in Kazakhstan in 2018.
On 20-21 of March 2018, in Zhuhai, China the China Enterprises Going Global Risk Conference will be held for Chinese transnational companies, organised by the China Industrial Overseas Development Association.
Uzbek government continues its strive to transform country's legislation and make Uzbekistan more open to foreign investment and international trade. With the addition modern-thinking specialists to the management in the state authorities, alongside with radical legislative improvements in legislation, directed to full-scale liberalisation, increasing trade turnover and development of local industry, attracting foreign investors, full transfer to market economy and overcoming such obstacles as corruption, restrictions for payment on current international transactions, tariff and non-tariff barriers, the prospects of Uzbekistan are becoming increasingly more attractive for global businesses.
During the Month of January 2018 GRATA International (Russian Federation) generated the most usage from Mondaq users for the category of commercial law.
Yana Dianova, Director of the Corporate and Commercial Law Department (GRATA International, Moscow) and Timur Berekmoinov, a patent attorney (GRATA International, Almaty) took part in the international conference 'Intellectual Property in the New Technological Order'.
In keeping with GRATA’s practice of informing clients of important legal developments that might influence their business, we would like to draw your attention to some important upcoming legislative developments regarding the foreign exchange regulation and foreign exchange control.
Samat Daumov, Managing Partner, GRATA International, shares the firm’s experience in building a regional network of a consulting firm or the largest network of lawyers and litigation attorneys in Kazakhstan.
We are glad to announce that Aidar Sarymsakov and Akhmetzhan Abdullayev, Senior Partners, Saule Akhmetova and Almat Daumov, Partners have been identified as key legal experts in Mining field among 11 legal experts in Kazakhstan in Who's Who Legal: Mining 2018 issue.
On 31 January 2017, the Law Society is hosting a breakfast round table with experts from the region and experienced practitioners to discuss the current business climate, growing business areas, and new investment opportunities for law firms and their clients, in particular in relation to the AIFC.
On 29 November 2017 the deputies of the Mazhilis of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan approved in the first reading draft law "On Amendments and Additions to Certain Legislative Acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan Regarding Regulation of Land Relations" (hereinafter referred to as the "Draft Law"), developed following the work of the Commission on Land Reform.
On 1 January 2018 new Tax Code came into force in Kazakhstan. This Tax Code is set to stimulate growth of small and medium-sized businesses and strengthen Kazakhstan’s financial sector. The principle of good faith was also introduced: all the ambiguities and inaccuracies of the Tax Code are interpreted in favour of entrepreneurs.
It has shown a particular interest in the Law of 28 December 2017 No. 128-VI on Introducing Amendments and Additions to some Legislative Acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan on Information and Communication ('the Law'), which, among other amendments, requires website operators to collect identification data of website users who post comments on such websites.
GRATA International commented on the following questions:
1- What is the background to the Law, and the Kazakh government's reason for introducing it?
2- Which types of companies will be affected by the provisions with regard to i) identifying website users ii) retaining user data? How is this likely to affect the operation of websites, and their users?
On 29 December 2017 the Republic of Kazakhstan has ratified the Convention on avoidance of double taxation with Ireland and the Protocol thereto (hereinafter – the ‘Convention’).
Команда юристов GRATA International в России подготовила обзор наиболее важных изменений в законодательстве Российской Федерации, вступающих в силу в 2018 году.
Belarus adopted the revolutionary legal framework for IT companies and blockchain enthusiasts. The President’s Decree on Digital Economy comes into force on March 28, 2018.
On December 23, 2017 Managing Partner of GRATA International’s Uzbekistan office Bakhodir Jabborov made a presentation at the Shanghai Bar Association
GRATA International contributed to LexisNexis Mergers & Acquisitions Law Guide 2018. Special Focus - One Belt One Road China Investment.
On November 23 the President of the Republic of Belarus has signed Decree No. 7 “On the Development of Entrepreneurship”. The document significantly simplifies business activities in Belarus. Below you can find main innovations for business introduced by the document.
On 15 December 2017, AmCham HR Committee's December Meeting took place in the office of Nobel Oil in Baku.
On 15 December 2017, the Caspian European Club and Caspian Energy Georgia with the support of the Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan in Georgia held the Azerbaijani-Georgian business forum and the third CEO of Lunch Tbilisi.
On 5 December 2017, the 23rd Azerbaijan International Telecommunications and Information Technologies Exhibition and Conference took Place in Baku Expo Centre. The exhibition marked the beginning of High Technologies Week. The organiser of the exhibition was the Caspian Event Organisers.
On 7-9 December 2017, Bolormaa Volodya, Partner, and Altanzaya Gunsen, Taxation Counsel of Absolute Advocates LLP, GRATA International's associate office in Mongolia, have attended International Taxation Conference 2017 in Mumbai, India.
GRATA International performed exceptionally well in this year’s rankings as its Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan offices were ranked by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, confirming GRATA International's dominant position in Central Asia.
During the Month of November 2017 GRATA International (Russian Federation) generated the most usage from Mondaq users for the category of commercial law.
On 30 November 2017 in Bishkek GRATA International organised a practical seminar: Roadmap to Profitable Small Hydro Power Plant Development, together with international engineering firm ILF Consulting Engineers.
On 28 November 2017 in Almaty GRATA International organised a practical seminar: Roadmap to Profitable Small Hydro Power Plant Development, together with international engineering firm ILF Consulting Engineers.
On 7 December 2017, the results of the national law firms rating – ‘Право.ru-300’ were announced.
On 6 December 2017 the drinks reception was held in Astana, Kazakhstan.
On 5 December 2017 the International Conference "PPP Projects in International Context" was held in Frankfurt-on-Main, Germany.
Yerzhan spoke on key questions of PPP projects implementation in Kazakhstan, particular issues of national legislation, basis PPP models in Kazakhstan, issues relating to regulation of PPP projects and key trends of development of PPP in the near future.
On November 28th, 2017 Nurlan Kyshtobaev, partner of GRATA International Bishkek office conducted a guest lecture on “concession agreements” and “how law firms operate”. The lecture was read to the students of International Business Law department of the American University of Central Asia (AUCA) within the course “Investment Law and Sustainable Development”. Earlier this year, GRATA International in Bishkek signed a MoU with AUCA on cooperation.
4th Downstream Caspian & Central Asia conference was held in Baku, Azerbaijan on November 28.
On 22 November 2017 Dubai Chamber Annual Networking Reception took place in Azerbaijan, Baku with the aim of highlighting achievements, discussing plans, and reward most active companies.
On November 16, 2017, American Chamber of Commerce in Azerbaijan (AmCham Azerbaijan) organized its monthly members’ luncheon.
AmCham Legal and Compliance Working Group hosted its regular meeting on November 1, 2017.
The opening ceremony of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway (BTK) was held on October 30, 2017 in Baku.
News 1 - 38 of 558
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last