According to the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan on Subsoil and Subsoil use dated 24 June 2010 (hereinafter – the “Subsoil Law”), to perform subsoil use operations, a subsoil use contract is required (for exploration, production, combined exploration, and production). The draft subsoil use contract shall be developed by the winner of a tender and shall be agreed upon by the competent authority. In connection with this, when supporting projects on acquiring a subsoil use right and conclusion of contracts, our lawyers pay special attention to the terms and conditions of the concluded contract.
Because of the fact that conditions specified in the tender bid for granting of subsoil use rights is to be included in the contract will affect which participant will be considered the winner , legal assistance may often be required even at the stage of preparation and submission of the tender bid.
Since the draft subsoil use contract shall be subject to the obligatory state examination (legal, economic, environmental), the development of the conditions of the draft subsoil use contract should engage not only those lawyers who specialize in mining but also those who practice in the areas of taxation, environment, etc. Our lawyers have extensive experience in drafting subsoil use contracts, and the availability of the branch of our firm in Astana allows us to be regularly informed on the status of subsoil use contracts submitted to the competent authority. Moreover, it allows us to be aware of the contract status at the stage of examination by other state authorities and therefore provide a flexible response in case of the need to complete the draft contract in order to address comments of the respective state authorities.
Changes in the legislation, extension of the contract term, and re-registration of a geological allotment are, as a rule, the grounds for modification of the contract. Amendments to the contract are acceptable upon agreement of the parties. Since an amendment to the contract is an integral part thereof and contains provisions replacing or supplementing any of its terms and conditions, drafting an amendment should be as thorough as drafting of the contract. Our team will assist you in amending the contract and in the settlement of all legal disagreements.
Within support of conclusion of the subsoil use contract, as well as within the procedure for contract modification, our experts offer:
- preparation of the tender bid;
- representation of the Client’s interests when submitting and registering the tender bid, in course of negotiations with the state authorities that are a part of the working group on consideration of the draft contract, in course of approval and examination of the draft contract, as well as when signing and registering the contract;
- drafting the contract and amending final version thereof if required;
- drafting additional agreements to the contract;
- negotiating with the working group and state authorities in course of obtaining necessary approvals and expert evaluations;
- development of final version of the draft additional agreement to the contract, signing and registration thereof.
- advising a large Russian company on the acquisition of large coal assets and subsoil use right in Kazakhstan (conducting a complex legal analysis (due diligence), transaction structuring, drafting sale-and-purchase agreement, obtaining permit from the competent authority and the state waiver of its pre-emptive right);
- advising a large international company on the proposed acquisition of an oil company owning assets in Kazakhstan, including due diligence;
- advising a large Korean mining company on the proposed acquisition of several Kazakhstani mining companies, including legal audit, development of agreements, drafting memorandums and official legal opinions;
- advising a top-tier Kazakhstani holding on development of subsoil use contracts regarding coal deposits, approval of the contract with state working groups, registration, completion and approval of amendments to the subsoil use contract;
- advising one of the foreign participants in the Production Sharing Agreement on changes in work program and procedure of procurement of goods, works and services under the subsoil use contract;
- advising a large group of Russian companies in connection with obtaining approvals under Kazakhstani subsoil legislation within the frameworks of selling a Kazakhstani gold-mining company;
- advising a Russian law firm on the necessity to obtain the consent of the competent authority and the state waiver of its pre-emptive right in connection with the issue of Eurobonds by the parent company owning oil assets in Kazakhstan.
|Yerzhan Yessimkhanov||Partner, Head of Telecommunication & Transport, Construction & Infrastructure Department||Almaty||Inquire|
|Andrei Soukhomlinov||Managing Partner, Office Director, GRATA International (Moscow)||Moscow||Inquire|
|Dmitriy Tyan||Representative in Kyzylorda region and the town of Baikonur, Attorney||Kyzylorda||Inquire|
|Marat Atyshev||Representative in Shymkent and Taraz, Advocate||Shymkent, Taraz||Inquire|
|Yevgeniy Gorokhov||Head of Dispute Resolution Department, Attorney at law, GRATA International (Moscow)||Moscow||Inquire|
|Nodir Yuldashev||Partner, Construction, Telecommunications, Transport, Tax and Litigation||Tashkent||Inquire|
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last
We are proud to announce that Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, partner and head of GRATA International’s Real Estate, Construction & Insfrastructure, Telecommunications & Transport departments, has been named among the best real estate lawyers in the world and featured in WWL 2018: Real Estate for the second consecutive year.
GRATA International entered the ranks of best law firms across 5 countries: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
12 May, 2017
Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, partner and head of Construction & Infrastructure practice at GRATA International, commented for Asia Business Law Journal on implementation of infrastructure projects in Kazakhstan within the frameworks of "One Belt, One Road" initiative.
On 6-7 December 2016 in London (UK) annual FIDIC International Contract Users' Conference was held.
Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, partner at GRATA International, commented for UK Construction Law Journal on several practical aspects of use of FIDIC contract forms in Kazakhstan.
Homes away from home: Chinese real estate investment overseas
This Article is intended to bring attention of construction companies considering entering the construction market in Kazakhstan to general provisions of Kazakh law regulating licensing of construction and design activities.
Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, Partner, Head of Telecommunications and Transport, Construction and Infrastructure (TTCI) department of GRATA International Almaty (Kazakhstan), commented to China Business Law Journal (November 2015)
On 18 September 2015, the Kazakhstani Legal Forum has been organized in Almaty
On 8 June 2015, in Almaty there was a business meeting of representatives of Malaysian and Kazakhstani oil-and-gas companies.
We would like to draw your attention to the recent changes in Kazakh legislation in connection with the adoption of the new Law 'On State Property'.
News 1 - 12 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last