Conducting almost all types of industrial, commercial and other activities entails the risk of environmental damage. Therefore, the legislation of Kazakhstan imposes strict requirements on those who carry out the various activities which have the potential to cause certain environmental damage.
Compliance with environmental requirements is monitored by state control and supervision by the competent authorities, which often results in large claims, the imposition of fines and other sanctions applied to companies. In this case, companies find it necessary to protect their interests against the public authorities that sometimes violate the rights of legal entities.
GRATA Law Firm offers the following services for the protection and representation of your interests in the resolution of environmental disputes and cases concerning administrative violations:
1) analysis of certain disputes and associated risks; producing recommendations regarding the feasibility of applying to the courts or other public authorities for the protection of interests of the company;
2) verifying the legality of administrative fines and environmental assessment of damage (including studying the company’s documents and, if necessary, on-site activity);
3) protecting and representing legal entities in courts and before other public authorities.
Based on our experience, our lawyers have made an overview of the trends established in the resolution of environmental disputes in practice. Please follow the link to read this information, and we hope it will be useful for you.
We were asked to assist in protecting the legitimate interests of many large trading companies, oil and gas companies, as well as large exporters of non-ferrous metals in environmental disputes.
In the recent past, we have successfully completed the following projects:
- advising a large oil company regarding an appeal against a Decree in an administrative offence case connected with sewage disposal;
- successful protected the interests of a large uranium-mining company in the Economical Court in connection with an appeal against the suspension of operations for violations of industrial safety legislation;
- successfully protecting the interests of a large oil company in the first, appellate, and cassational courts and the Ministry of Environmental Protection of RK. Our lawyers achieved a dismissal of a claim for damages and cancelation of all fines imposed for environmental violations;
- successfully protecting the interests of an oil company in the Ministry of Environmental Protection of the Republic of Kazakhstan. As a result of our participation fines imposed for environmental violations were annulled;
- successfully representing the interests of a company in the chemical sector in the Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan with regard to settling a dispute over ownership of production wastes;
- successfully representing a large mining and processing enterprise in the first, appellate and supervisory courts in connection with a claim of a territorial environmental administration for compensation for damages caused by pollution of land and water resources;
- representing the interests of a number of large foreign oil companies during audits performed by environmental prosecution bodies, territorial environmental administration and an authorised body for subsoil use. Our participation in the audits helped prevent several unreasonable claims against the company;
- successfully protecting the interests of an oil company in connection with a claim of the regional prosecutor’s office against excessive disposal of production wastes;
- successfully protecting the interests of a uranium-mining company in court and in the prosecution bodies in connection with an appeal against a fine for excessive emissions. As a result the amount of the fine was reduced tenfold;
- representing in court a major oil company appealing against fines for polluting land, waste storage, and the breach of requirements for environmental monitoring of production. Our lawyers achieved the cancelation of all fines;
- representing in court a metallurgical company in the settlement of a dispute over payment rates for disposal of production waste;
- protecting the interests of an oil company during land inspections regarding administrative violations. As a result of our participation the fines were significantly reduced;
- advising an oil company regarding the legality of fines imposed for not possessing environmental permits and for exceeding the maximum allowable discharge levels;
- protecting the interests of uranium mining companies in court in connection with claims against them for compensation for damages caused by waste disposal;
- protecting the interests of a landfill owner in the court of cassation in connection with the unjustified accrual of fees for waste disposal;
- successfully protected the interests of an oil company with regard to environmental emissions of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide as a result of associated gas flaring in courts of first instance, appeal and cassation, and the administrative court;
- advising a mining company in connection with the claim for compensation for damages caused by accidental pollution of water bodies;
- advising an agricultural organisation in connection with the requirements of the tax authority to charge additional fees for waste disposal in the environment;
- drafting a complaint to the Tax Committee with respect to the notice of the tax audit results, under which the waste recycling company was additionally charged amounts of emissions fee;
- successfully protected the interests of an oil company with regard to an accidental oil spill into a water body in courts of first instance, appeal and cassation, and the administrative court.
|Bakhodir Jabborov||Managing Partner||Tashkent||Inquire|
|Nurbol Kissembayev||Partner, Branch Director||Aktau||Inquire|
|Leila Makhmetova||Counsel, Director of Environmental Law Department||Almaty||Inquire|
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last
In January 2014, the Environmental Law Department has won the court proceedings for the benefit of a subsoil user. The first-instance court has denied the environmental authority to recover environmental damages caused by dust emissions.
News 1 - 1 of 1
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last