Conducting almost all types of industrial, commercial and other activities entails the risk of environmental damage. Therefore, the legislation of Kazakhstan imposes strict requirements on those who carry out the various activities which have the potential to cause certain environmental damage.
Compliance with environmental requirements is monitored by state control and supervision by the competent authorities, which often results in large claims, the imposition of fines and other sanctions applied to companies. In this case, companies find it necessary to protect their interests against the public authorities that sometimes violate the rights of legal entities.
GRATA Law Firm offers the following services for the protection and representation of your interests in the resolution of environmental disputes and cases concerning administrative violations:
1) analysis of certain disputes and associated risks; producing recommendations regarding the feasibility of applying to the courts or other public authorities for the protection of interests of the company;
2) verifying the legality of administrative fines and environmental assessment of damage (including studying the company’s documents and, if necessary, on-site activity);
3) protecting and representing legal entities in courts and before other public authorities.
Based on our experience, our lawyers have made an overview of the trends established in the resolution of environmental disputes in practice. Please follow the link to read this information, and we hope it will be useful for you.
We were asked to assist in protecting the legitimate interests of many large trading companies, oil and gas companies, as well as large exporters of non-ferrous metals in environmental disputes.
In the recent past, we have successfully completed the following projects:
- advising a large oil company regarding an appeal against a Decree in an administrative offence case connected with sewage disposal;
- successful protected the interests of a large uranium-mining company in the Economical Court in connection with an appeal against the suspension of operations for violations of industrial safety legislation;
- successfully protecting the interests of a large oil company in the first, appellate, and cassational courts and the Ministry of Environmental Protection of RK. Our lawyers achieved a dismissal of a claim for damages and cancelation of all fines imposed for environmental violations;
- successfully protecting the interests of an oil company in the Ministry of Environmental Protection of the Republic of Kazakhstan. As a result of our participation fines imposed for environmental violations were annulled;
- successfully representing the interests of a company in the chemical sector in the Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan with regard to settling a dispute over ownership of production wastes;
- successfully representing a large mining and processing enterprise in the first, appellate and supervisory courts in connection with a claim of a territorial environmental administration for compensation for damages caused by pollution of land and water resources;
- representing the interests of a number of large foreign oil companies during audits performed by environmental prosecution bodies, territorial environmental administration and an authorised body for subsoil use. Our participation in the audits helped prevent several unreasonable claims against the company;
- successfully protecting the interests of an oil company in connection with a claim of the regional prosecutor’s office against excessive disposal of production wastes;
- successfully protecting the interests of a uranium-mining company in court and in the prosecution bodies in connection with an appeal against a fine for excessive emissions. As a result the amount of the fine was reduced tenfold;
- representing in court a major oil company appealing against fines for polluting land, waste storage, and the breach of requirements for environmental monitoring of production. Our lawyers achieved the cancelation of all fines;
- representing in court a metallurgical company in the settlement of a dispute over payment rates for disposal of production waste;
- protecting the interests of an oil company during land inspections regarding administrative violations. As a result of our participation the fines were significantly reduced;
- advising an oil company regarding the legality of fines imposed for not possessing environmental permits and for exceeding the maximum allowable discharge levels;
- protecting the interests of uranium mining companies in court in connection with claims against them for compensation for damages caused by waste disposal;
- protecting the interests of a landfill owner in the court of cassation in connection with the unjustified accrual of fees for waste disposal;
- successfully protected the interests of an oil company with regard to environmental emissions of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide as a result of associated gas flaring in courts of first instance, appeal and cassation, and the administrative court;
- advising a mining company in connection with the claim for compensation for damages caused by accidental pollution of water bodies;
- advising an agricultural organisation in connection with the requirements of the tax authority to charge additional fees for waste disposal in the environment;
- drafting a complaint to the Tax Committee with respect to the notice of the tax audit results, under which the waste recycling company was additionally charged amounts of emissions fee;
- successfully protected the interests of an oil company with regard to an accidental oil spill into a water body in courts of first instance, appeal and cassation, and the administrative court.
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last
For yet another consecutive year, GRATA International enters the leading legal rankings and continues to be among the most outstanding law firms in Central Asia and the Caspian region.
The Board of the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) approved on 29 January 2019 the Recommendations on the Guidelines for the Selection of Trade Names of Medicinal Products and the Guidelines for Manufacturing of Finished Dosage Forms of Medicinal Products in order to eliminate differences in the requirements for the manufacturing of finished dosage forms of medicines in Eurasian Member States Economic Union (EAEU).
Коллегия Евразийской экономической комиссии утвердила 29 января 2019 г. Рекомендации о Руководстве по выбору торговых наименований лекарственных препаратов и о Руководстве по производству готовых лекарственных форм лекарственных препаратов в целях устранения различий в требованиях, предъявляемых к процессам производства готовых лекарственных форм лекарственных препаратов в государствах - членах Евразийского экономического союза (ЕАЭС).
On 2 July 2018, the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 166-VI "On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan on Insurance and Insurance Activities, Securities Market" was adopted. Among other things, this legislative act has amended the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated 13 May 2003 No. 415-II "On Joint Stock Companies" (the "JSC Law").
We are glad to announce that one of GRATA International’s successful projects has been selected as of the winners of China Business Law Journal: Deals of the Year 2018.
Though Kazakhstan adopted relevant legislation for domestic (such as the governed Kazakh law) Islamic banking transactions more than seven years ago and has a Muslim population of over 11 million, Islamic finance is still in the early stages of its development and Islamic products are rarely used. According to the National Bank of Kazakhstan (NBK), as of 2018, the share of Islamic banking assets account for only 0.16% of total banking sector assets in Kazakhstan.
GRATA International is pleased to announce that on January 18-24, 2019, Mr. Andrew Gamble and Mr. Dimitri Papadopoulos visited Almaty, Kazakhstan.
The following is an outline of some of the major legal developments in Kazakhstan last year, and a selection of key changes that we anticipate for business, including Islamic finance, for this year.
Zulfiya Akchurina (representative of GRATA International in USA) and Mikhail Abdulov (lawyer) contributed to the report Doing Business 2019: Training for Reform.
We are glad to announce that GRATA International has been shortlisted for Law firm of the year: Russia, Ukraine and the CIS.
On the 29th November 2018, Almaty, the former capital and the largest city in Kazakhstan, received responses from nine international consortia, consisting of companies from Japan, France, Russia, Turkey, Spain, China and Kazakhstan, to participate in the first stage of the open tender of the Almaty Light Rail Transit (LRT) public-private partnership (PPP) project.
Постановлением Правительства Российской Федерации от 29 декабря 2018 г. № 1716-83 введен запрет на ввоз в Россию товаров, страной происхождения либо страной отправления которых является Украина или которые перемещаются через территорию Украины.
A ban on the import into Russia of certain commodities, the country of origin of which is Ukraine or which move through the territory of Ukraine was introduced by the Decision of the Government of the Russian Federation dated 29 December 2018 No. 1716-83.
Let us introduce you this 'Doing Business in Kazakhstan' publication prepared by GRATA International law firm. The information in the brochure is based on theoretical and practical information available as of June 2018. The content of this brochure is intended for foreign businessmen and companies seeking to do business in Kazakhstan.
26 ноября 2018 года управление Роскомнадзора по Центральному федеральному округу возбудило административное дело в отношении компании Google, LLC в связи с неисполнением компанией обязанности подключиться к федеральной государственной информационной системе, содержащей перечень информационных ресурсов, информационно-телекоммуникационных сетей, доступ к которым ограничен на территории России (ФГИС).
On 26 November 2018, the Office of the Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media (Roskomnadzor) in the Central Federal District initiated an administrative case against Google, LLC due to the company's failure to fulfill its obligations to connect to the federal state information system containing a list of information resources, information and telecommunication networks, access to which is restricted in Russia (FGIS ).
On 7 December 2018 Yerbolat Yerkebulanov, Partner of GRATA International law firm, gave guest lecture at Suleyman Demirel University in Almaty.
The EBRD supports the development and strengthening of local capital markets within the framework of the current reform program of Uzbekistan to ensure openness of the economy.
Требования Общего регламента по защите данных (General Data Protection Regulation) (далее - «Регламент» или «GDPR»), вступившего в силу с 25 мая 2018 г., применяются согласно его статье 3 (2) в том числе к контроллерам и операторам персональных данных, не учрежденным в ЕС, если они обрабатывают персональные данные субъектов персональных данных (физических лиц) находящихся в ЕС
We are proud to announce that Yerzhan Yessimkhanov, partner and head of GRATA International’s Real Estate, Construction & Insfrastructure, Telecommunications & Transport departments, has been named among the best real estate lawyers in the world and featured in WWL 2018: Real Estate for the second consecutive year.
GRATA International has cemented its position as one of the leading firms in Central Asia and Caspian region, following the release of major international legal rating Chambers&Partners Asia-Pacific 2019. GRATA International has secured a ranking in Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
News 1 - 21 of 701
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last