Bakhyt Tukulov graduated with highest honors from International Law Department of al-Farabi Kazakh National University. He also holds a Master of Law degree in International Legal Studies (with distinction) from Georgetown University Law Center (District of Columbia., United States).
- Dispute Resolution (Domestic and International)
Litigation (commercial and administrative, including in aid of domestic and foreign arbitrations), arbitration in Kazakhstan and abroad, pre-dispute settlement negotiations, enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and judicial acts, legal due diligence, legal advice on the structuring of transactions from dispute resolution perspective (choice of law, forum, investment treaty protection, jurisdictional matters), legal support in the course of audits of state authorities.
- "Enforcement of English Court Judgments in Kazakhstan? Why not?" (GRATA International, 2015)
- "Rehabilitation Procedure under New Kazakh Bankruptcy Law: Another Way to Avoid the Claims of Creditors?" (GRATA International, 2015)
- "Dispute Resolution 2015 - Kazakhstan" (Getting The Deal - Dispute Resolution 2015. Kazakhstan)
- "Litigation: Kazakhstan" (Getting The Deal - Litigation 2015. Kazakhstan)
- "Overview of Recent Significant Developments in the Civil Procedure Code of Kazakhstan" (Petroleum Journal, 2015)
- "International Fraud & Asset Tracing - Kazakhstan" (The European Lawyer Reference 3rd edition, 2015)
- "Kazakhstan - Law & Practice" (Chambers and Partners, 2014)
- "Dispute Resolution 2014 - Kazakhstan" (Getting The Deal - Dispute Resolution 2014. Kazakhstan)
- "Unconditional Bank Guarantees Issued Under Kazakhstan Law: Practical Difficulties Which Foreign Creditors Should Be Aware Of" (GRATA International, 2014)
- "Comparative Analysis of Injunctive Relief Available under English and Kazakh law: Practitioner’s Perspective" (GRATA International, 2014)
- "Investment Treaty Arbitration 2014 - Kazakhstan" (Getting The Deal - Investment Treaty Arbitration 2014. Kazakhstan)
- "Discussion of Available Means to Mitigate Legal Risks Faced by Foreign Investors Doing Business in the Republic of Kazakhstan" (GRATA International, 2014)
- "Laws Governing International Commercial Arbitration in Kazakhstan and Associated Risks" (Petroleum Journal 2012)
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution: Kazakhstan 2016 (GLI 2016)
Russian, English, Kazakh
Prior to joining our team, Bakhyt has worked for several years at one of the top international law firms. Bakhyt has represented clients in a wide variety of matters ranging from commercial disputes to disputes with state authorities. He has also represented clients in international arbitrations in Kazakhstan and abroad. On part time basis, Bakhyt lectures graduate students on the theory and practice of International Arbitration and Litigation.
- Advising a client on Kazakh law in international arbitration worth approx. USD 300 million initiated at the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes under a Bilateral Investment Treaty and the Energy Charter Treaty;
- Successful representation of a foreign investor in multimillion dollar international arbitration with its seat in Kazakhstan over the ownership of shares in a Kazakh mineral producing company (ended by settlement);
- Assisting an arbitrator serving in tribunal formed under the Arbitration Rules of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce on Kazakh choice of law rules;
- Representing a client in Kazakh courts in relation to enforcement of a foreign arbitral award worth approx. USD 30 million (ongoing);
- Successful representation in District Economic Court of the winner of a tender for supply of complex electric equipment for the total amount of approx. USD 7 million in dispute initiated by a participant of the tender over the validity of the findings of the tender;
- Successful representation in District Economic Court of two major suppliers of cement in Kazakhstan in antimonopoly dispute with the Agency of the Republic of Kazakhstan for the Protection of Competition over unlawful inclusion of the cement producers into the Republican Register of Entities which Enjoy Dominant or Monopoly Status in a Commodity Market;
- Successful representation in District Economic Court of one of the major suppliers of cement in Kazakhstan in a complex dispute with local Department of Environmental Protection over the alleged excessive pollution of environment;
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last
On 19 May 2017, the Legal Forum for Dispute Settlement was held in Astana hotel 'Kazzhol'. The event was arranged at the initiative of 'Atameken' National Chamber of Businessmen and Lincoln Brown law firm.
On 24 May 2017 in Almaty, Kazakhstan English Law Day Forum was held.
On 12 May 2017 in Astana GRATA International organised a practical seminar: Dispute Resolution In Infrastructure Projects together with German engineering firm ILF Consulting Engineers.
GRATA International Law Firm has advised the Republican Physics and Mathematics School (RPMS) on state procurement and legal aspects of construction of a new school building.
GRATA International co-organised seminars with Mannheimer Swartling and Abritration Institute of SCC
On 3-4 November 2016, the XI Kazakh Forum of Corporate Lawyers was held in Almaty.
Asialaw Profiles – the guide to Asia-Pacific’s leading lawyers and law firms has identified key legal practitioners in Kazakhstan
Protection of trademarks becomes important with the growth of business and increase in competition at any market of goods and services. Manufacturers of goods (providers of services) sell their goods (services) under a particular “brand” or mark, so that consumers can distinguish a particular product among many other similar goods (services).
Kazakhstan gained its independence in 1991 from the USSR. Kazakhstan’s judicial system is young, relatively underfi nanced, and thus not suffi ciently strong or independent. The system is in transition from a Soviet-style and judge-dominated, inquisition-type civil process to a more liberal, competitive judicial process. Corruption, although not common, is said to take place.
On July 21, 2016 in Almaty (Kazakhstan) Bakhyt Tukulov, Partner, Head of Dispute Resolution Department, GRATA International and Zeinebike Madybayeva, Counsel of GRATA International were included to arbitrators list of the Arbitration Center of the National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of the Republic of Kazakhstan 'Atameken'.
Secondary liability of a director under the 2014 Republic of Kazakhstan Law “On Rehabilitation and Bankruptcy” refers to a situation where a director would be required personally to reimburse for the difference between the value of the company’s assets and the amount of creditors’ claims.
On 3 June 2016, the seminar titled ‘Modern Rehabilitation and Bankruptcy Practice’ will be held in Almaty (Kazakhstan) at the Ritz-Carlton hotel. GRATA International will be represented in the vent by the speakers - Shaimerden Chikanayev, Partner, Head of Banking and Finance Department, and Bakhyt Tukulov, Partner, Head of Litigation Department.
A new edition of the most authoritative international rating - Chambers&Partners Asia-Pacific Guide 2016 has been published this month.
Traditionally, Kazakh law has been very conservative in terms of enforcement of foreign judgments. According to general rule contained in the Code of Civil Procedure, which remained effective until 31 December 2015, Kazakh courts would recognize and enforce foreign court judgments only if there was an international treaty with relevant state on the mutual legal assistance. The number of such mutual legal assistance treaties has been very small (13+). None of the treaties were signed with western jurisdictions. As such, enforcement of judgments of English courts, for example, was not possible.
Dear Clients, Dispute resolution department of GRATA International due to the recent economic developments in Kazakhstan, plans to hold a seminar on 21 December 2015, topic:"The New Civil Procedure Code".
GRATA International was reviewed by Asialaw profiles 2016 as one of the leading experts and a premier law firm in Kazakhstan.
On 15 and 16 October 2015, the Training Centre of GRATA International organised training seminars
On 1 October 2015, Bakhyt Tukulov, Partner of GRATA International gave a lecture to students of the Graduate School of Business at Nazarbayev University
Практические рекомендации о минимизации предпринимательских рисков, связанных с введением свободно плавающего курса тенге, дает читателям Forbes.kz партнер судебной практики юридической фирмы GRATA Бахыт Тукулов
Litigation in Kazakstan
Dispute Resolution system in Kazakhstan
The main statute governing international arbitration in the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter "RoK") was introduced in 2004.
In this article, the author aims to briefly analyze the main strategies available for mitigating some of the legal risks mentioned above in the hope that readers will find them helpful.
The prevailing attitude of private businesses and local citizens towards foreign investment in Kazakhstan is positive.
A guarantee, as a means of securing the performance of a commercial obligation, is widely applied among businesses operating within the territory of Kazakhstan and abroad.
Why do so many wealthy businessmen strive to have their disputes resolved by the English courts?
Kazakhstan laws which govern enforcement of judicial acts were considerably amended in January of this year.
Kazakhstan’s court system is comprised of four tiers of courts: (i) Special District Courts and General District Courts; (ii) Appellate Courts; (iii) Cassation Courts; and (iv) the Supreme Court.
On 17 November 2014 significant modifications were introduced into the Republic of Kazakhstan Code of Civil Procedure (CPC).
The dispute resolution practice at GRATA is headquartered in Kazakhstan, with eight fee earners and three members of support staff.
07-08 February 2014 in Almaty the 2013 reporting conference of the EURASIAN LAW FIRM «GRATA»
As the interest of foreign investors in resource-rich Kazakhstan is growing, a large number of Kazakhstani companies are being listed in the world’s largest fi nancial centres to raise capital.
Thespeakers were Bakhyt Tukulov, Counsel at GRATA Law Firm and Fredrik Ringquist, Senior Assosiate at Mannheimmer&Swartling
On 6-7 November 2014 the IX Kazakh Forum of Corporate Lawyers was held in Almaty.
Новости 1 - 36 of 36
First | Prev. | 1 | Next | Last